Saturday, March 30, 2013


Cloud AtlasCloud Atlas by David Mitchell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

DJ Ian's Sunday Evening "Tell Me What You Really Think"


Mitchell's Hollow Horn Plays Wasted Words

I’ve tried to understand this novel.
Let me tell you how very much I've strived,
But from my humble little hovel,
It seems to me horribly contrived.

Like, what about the self-conscious display
Of inordinate lit’ry prowess?
Applied for amusement and for play,
It’s the ultimate in high-browness.

He’s in Haruki’s artistic debt,
High up there defying gravity
And recursive time without a net,
Oh what gimmicky depravity!

Such "belletristic masturbation"
Served in mind-expanding proportions
Invites a surgical truncation,
So foxy ladies get their portions.

Mitchell smacks of hippopotamus
When one would expect an elephant.
His homonyms are synonymous.
Does that make him sound intelligent?

When it comes to writing, I prefer
Economy and austerity,
Not for me smug buffoonery or
Polysyllabic dexterity.

Now you've heard this missive for a while,
It’s true he has so much greater fame,
Though I don’t envy his success, I’ll
Crawl upon the author to exclaim:

Foresake all your post-modernist tricks
For pseudo-intellectual dicks!
David Mitchell, "you’re prolix, prolix,
Nothing a pair of scissors can't fix!"



IAN GRAYE'S PSEUDO-INTELLECTUAL REVIEW

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...



SOUNDTRACK

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - "We Call Upon The Author to Explain"


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQtsO2...

Rilo Kiley - "Portions for Foxes"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtNV3p...


View all my reviews

No comments: